Each type of carpet can be further divided into several different styles.
Some styles of cut pile include:
- Saxony – The iconic style of long, plush pile with extra twist in each fiber. This is the style that comes to mind for most people when they think of carpet
- Plush – Shorter pile than Saxony, with a soft, velvety appearance. It also can more easily display tracking from footprints and vacuuming
- Frieze – Also known as shag, with a less formal appearance. It provides a more luxurious feel and style to a room.
Some types of loop pile include:
- Level loop – A simple, repeated loop for a uniform carpet surface. It doesn’t show footprints and it often ideal for offices and rooms with high traffic.
- Sisal – A textured loop, made in straight rows. It comes in a variety of patterns and textures.
- Berber – Often characterized by chunky loops, originally popularized in commercial settings. The name originates from the style of weaving done by the Berber tribes of North Africa.